Saturday, June 21, 2014

Like Sugar for Coffee, but Not

As I transition from personal training to equipping friends with tools to prepare food more healthfully and quickly at home, I have seen a huge change in my own habits.

Making our own bread at home, it is now made exclusively with honey.  Honey!  No sugar.  

Could it be that that is one reason I savor each piece of bread and feel better, fuller?

It's taken a couple months to let this sink in.  Like any organic chicken with its head still intact, I look at trends upside down and sideways.  I'm never on the front end of them.  I thought I was with grinding my own wheat (check out Wendy's Fresh Mills), but my friend in Colorado corrected me that everyone on and west of the Rockies already has a food mill: it's this side that's behind the curve.

I had no trouble with sugar in bread - but changing to honey was a no-brainer.  Who doesn't love a good honey loaf?

Still, I could tell sugar was the next villain when movie makers assaulted it with their good vs. evil dramatization in the January released film "Fed Up." See the trailer here.

I get a little annoyed when films say that companies "trying to make money" is a bad thing. It's like, as they collect your $9.50 entry ticket, they say out of the other sides of their mouths that corporations are bad. So this cynicism means I usually watch them once they are at Redbox.  I also sometimes need to prove I'm not easily herded with the sheep simply because the Hollywood shepherds use awesome cinematography and music... or maybe I am, so I instinctively protect myself.

For example, the month after I watched the movie Food, Inc., I couldn't function in polite society because our habits involved a lot of chicken, and beef. A mild depression ensued.  Watch the movie Fresh sometime immediately after that one if you want to come away encouraged.


Here is my husband's answer to health: planting our own food.  Here we are picking our blueberries!

So, this sugar thing was my last dietary-sheep standing.  Applause, please: like your own personal, virtual avatar, I made a big change this week.  I think you will benefit from hearing about it.  You now know me, how long I have resisted.  You know how strong I am.

Now listen.

I had my first four cups of coffee on Thursday with honey instead of sugar.  Cup of Coffee

Let that sink in.  Without mood swings, without highs and lows.  Yeah, that's how it sunk in for me, too. Everyone in my household benefitted.  I couldn't believe it.

But, I had never tried it in more than one cup before.  I had never liked the taste and decided it wasn't worth it.  This week, I finally tried it in a second cup of coffee.  I figured I lived, so I tried it in the third.  And now it's gone, that sugar in each cup.

It's definitely an acquired taste, but may I encourage you: so was coffee! You can do it.  You can!

I actually feel different: smoother.

And, unbelievably, less bitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment